• Cool off and impress your friends, partner and yourself with these refreshing drink recipes from mixologists in Quarry Bay.
Nothing beats the heat like a cool beverage in hand. Whether you’re celebrating an occasion with your friends or colleagues, having an evening in with a date, or just enjoying some me-time, why not try making your own delicious cocktail? Master mixologists from our Quarry Bay community have created these easy-to-make drink recipes exclusively for The Mag; try them out to impress your guests – and even yourself!
Impress Your Friends with the Neighbourhood Cooler
With a perfect balance of sweet and tangy, this citrusy cocktail will please every palate in your group. The recipe is created by Patrick Natino, a seasoned mixologist and bar manager at Mr & Mrs Fox. “My inspiration for the drink comes from our neighbourhood, which is full of energy,” he says. “It’ll re-energise you after a long day at work.”
30ml London Dry Gin, 50ml white wine, 10 ml lemon juice, 10ml honey, 50ml ginger ale, and 1 thyme sprig
1. Separate the thyme leaves from the stem. Set stems aside.
2. Add all ingredients, except ginger ale, into a shaker with preferred amount of ice.
3. Shake, strain and serve in a highball glass over ice.
4. Top up with ginger ale and garnish with thyme sprig and a lemon twist.
Add your own twist: Swap lemon for a different citrus that you like – yuzu, grapefruit, Thai lime, calamansi and kumquat all have different intensities of sweet and sourness.
Patrick’s tips: If you don’t have a shaker, you can still create the drink by adding all ingredients into a tall glass, then add ice, stir and serve.
What else is there to eat in Quarry Bay?
Read our FOOD stories!
Impress Your Date with “Matcha-ing” with You
Who says a romantic drink has to be pink? This green cocktail by Alvin Ching, mixologist at EAST Hong Kong’s rooftop bar Sugar, will surprise your partner with its complex flavours. A finalist at the Diageo World Class Competition Hong Kong & Macau 2021, Alvin is known for his innovative approach, and “Matcha-ing” with You is no exception. “A sip of this cocktail is a journey on its own,” he shares. “It’s crisp, zesty, sweet and slightly bitter all at once – just like love.”
80ml gin of your choice, 60ml honey, 1 tsp matcha powder, and 1 grapefruit
1. Cut up and muddle grapefruit.
2. Put all ingredients and a small scoop of ice into shaker.
3. Shake and strain, then squeeze grapefruit peel to add citrus oils into the drink.
4. Rub peel around rim of glass and drop it inside as garnish to finish.
Add your own twist: Try different kinds of tea powder. Hojicha, for example, works just as well as matcha.
Alvin’s tips: Chill your glasses in advance, and pick a citrusy gin for the best result.
Impress Yourself with the Jungle Bird
If you’re looking to spend some quality time with yourself, this tropical mocktail will be your perfect company. Its creator, Kushal Gurung, head bartender at Catch Quarry Bay, makes sure the directions are as simple as possible so you can just relax and enjoy yourself. “When I’m at home, I don’t want to make anything complicated,” he says. “This drink is easy and tasty, and offers a good balance of flavours.”
50ml pineapple juice, 25ml lime juice, 25ml muscovado syrup, and 1 pineapple leaf
1. Add pineapple juice, lime juice and syrup into shaker.
2. Shake and strain into a highball glass over ice.
3. Garnish with pineapple leaf.
Add your own twist:
Change the amount of pineapple juice to adjust the sweetness.
If you need a kick of alcohol, add 25ml Campari or Select Aperitivo and 50ml rum – 25ml Appleton White and 25ml Diplomatica are a good combination.
In need of a comforting treat? Try these classic local snacks from our Quarry Bay neighbourhood.