Swire Properties has launched its Smart Waste Reduction Pilot Programme, a first in Hong Kong, using smart scales and a digital engagement platform to “gamify” the collective sustainability journey experienced by its employees and tenants. The programme has been developed in partnership with cleantech start-up company Spare-it, and is supported by the Swire Pacific Sustainable Development (SD) Fund.
Launched earlier in July 2021, the seven-month challenge attracted 15 participating teams to compete against each other. The teams were drawn from tenants in seven office towers in Hong Kong managed by Swire Properties, including Atlas Air and Polar Air, Boston Consulting Group, Eversheds Sutherland, Greater Bay Airlines, JLL, LVMH Fragrance Brands, Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group and Societe Generale, as well as the Company’s own offices.
The participating teams:
- Received recommendations on how to optimise the design and layout of their office waste bins;
-Replaced individual desk-side rubbish bins with centralised collection and sorting stations;
- Fitted smart scales under each bin to collect live waste disposal and recycling data;
- Set up display screens to showcase their waste reduction progress in real-time and benchmark this progress against other teams.
Collective Impact of the 2021 Challenge
- 14% reduction in total waste per employee*
- 41% waste diversion rate achieved
- 3,400 employees were engaged
- 7 workshops were organised on topics such as proper waste sorting and food waste reduction
- 4 Tenant Project Forums took place where tenant green teams shared best practices and challenges they experienced
The teams with the best waste performance and the most proactive employee participation were recognised with awards and a total of HKD$30,000 worth of prizes.
With the Pilot proven to be a success, Swire Properties has announced the continuation of the programme in 2022.
To fight climate change, we are all in to create a better tomorrow! If your company is interested in participating in the programme, email us to find out more at email@example.com.
*As compared to the first full-month data recorded at the beginning of the challenge.
About Swire Properties’ SD 2030 Strategy
Swire Properties is committed to operating in an environmentally, socially and economically responsible manner across all aspects of our business. We formulated our SD 2030 Strategy in 2016 to clearly articulate our SD vision, helping us to build our SD capability and ensures that SD considerations are part of all of our operations and business decisions.